Photo

Edges of Bread and End Slices of Loaves

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Edges of Bread and End Slices of Loaves

Do you eat the edges of bread?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Do you eat the end slices of loafs of bread?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:30 AM

A silly mundane thing a friend and I were talking about over Discord last night.  It seems like a simple enough poll and discussion point, lol.  Do you or not for either, and why or why not~

Edited by Koh, 14 June 2017 - 07:33 AM.

#2 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:32 AM

Crust is fine, but the end slices that are all crust can go suck a fuck.

• ShadowTiger, SkyLizardGirl and Matthew like this

#3 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:37 AM

I eat the bread completely, crusts, end slices of loaves, everything. Don't really have a reason, I just eat everything :P

• Shane likes this

#4 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:47 AM

Crust is awesome, but the end slices goes to the birds. I have an army of pidgeons and some crows on my balcony waiting to dispose of any leftover bread. The other day one of the crows left me a screw, so now I owe them.

Edited by Migokalle, 14 June 2017 - 07:47 AM.

• ShadowTiger, Magi_Hero, Koh and 2 others like this

#5 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:14 AM

I eat the crust always. And I am about half and half on the end slices. They aren't as good as middle slices. But they are fine. And I'd rather eat food than waste it.

#6 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:04 AM

Crust I don't mind, but I wouldn't dare end the end slices. Just too small for my liking.

#7 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:38 AM

All pieces of bread make great french toast, therefore all pieces of breadloaf is good.
  • ShadowTiger and Sheik like this

#8 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:07 AM

Ugh.  I'll uh .. ... I'll eat them, but it doesn't mean I'm a big fan of them.  I don't like to waste food, but I'd be lying if I said I would occasionally think of the crust of bread as food. :sweat:   On a grilled cheese sandwich, however, I'll probably be happy to eat it all.  Heck on a pizza, the crust isn't always awful.  Sometimes the dough is so flavorful that you can't not eat the crust.  I know it's a little off topic, but I feel like it's a similar concept, really.

Crust is awesome, but the end slices goes to the birds. I have an army of pidgeons and some crows on my balcony waiting to dispose of any leftover bread. The other day one of the crows left me a screw, so now I owe them.

This is why I love having you around.

• Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder likes this

#9 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:29 AM

I eat the bread completely, crusts, end slices of loaves, everything. Don't really have a reason, I just eat everything :P

• Shane and Eddy like this

#10 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:59 AM

I see no reason not to eat crust, crust is good. End slices though... I'll eat them, but if there's any other slice that isn't end slice, I'll take that first.

• Shane likes this

#11 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:00 PM

It's interesting, cause I've always heard the end slices referred to as "heels of the loaf". Maybe it's a local thing.

I eat crust, but don't typically eat the heels unless there's literally nothing else. They can be used for breadcrumbs and stuffing though.

#12 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:23 PM

I guess the question is, does the crust taste too different to eat?  Or does it taste similar enough to the rest of the bread that there isn't enough of a difference to even notice you're eating crust and not bread?

It tastes very different to me in general, so I'm a bit loathe to eat it.

#13 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:50 PM

Yup I eat both. With good quality bread the crust's taste is even enjoyable, although I've certainly encountered bread with crappy crust that's a drag. End slices are a different matter, I won't use them for sandwiches if I have a choice, but they work well for spreads with a lot of flavor.

Some of my favorite non-sandwich uses for bread are a single slice with

-peanut butter and honey

-buttered toast with jelly

-buttered toast with cinnamon and honey

-bread with mashed avocado

-heated bread with melted slices of cheddar (sprinkle of cinnamon optional)

And who can resist garlic bread? Even the crust of garlic bread tends to be great, especially when you use that crust to scoop up excess spaghetti sauce.

Edited by Cukeman, 14 June 2017 - 04:50 PM.

• Anthus likes this

#14 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:55 PM

I guess the question is, does the crust taste too different to eat? Or does it taste similar enough to the rest of the bread that there isn't enough of a difference to even notice you're eating crust and not bread?

It tastes very different to me in general, so I'm a bit loathe to eat it.

It's more of a texture thing for me. The crust is usually not as soft, and it can be more bitter than the bread. Some breads have insanely solid crusts, so eating the ends is out of the question for those. Unless of course, there's some sort of soup or stew to dip it in.
  • ShadowTiger and Cukeman like this

#15 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:15 PM

I believe the true reason that I do like eating the ends and crust of the loaf is because I am a slob.

I think it's actually because I just used to always eat the end pieces with peanut butter or tuna fish. I wonder what bread ends could be bad with those.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users