Astronomy

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#151 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:17 PM

Hey, someone of you saw the meteor ? i don't live in Ameica and i saw it only in TV and internet

http://www.cbsnews.c...diana-michigan/

That's fairly close to me, but it was cloudy and rainy last night, so I missed it.

#152 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:49 PM

Russ- I just saw your response from a few months ago. I think the topic you were discussing, if parameters about the universe were slightly different than life would not exist, is an interesting topic. And I had a shift in my thinking about it fairly recently so I want to express that and see what people think.

I use to solidly conform to the idea Aevin was saying: that predictions about life were based on lack of imagination and ignorance since we only have one sample to make predictions from. And I do think this is very much the case. Life evolves to situate itself in the universe. I think it is very possible that other forms of life exist in our own universe that we are simply not aware of because we are biased toward carbon based life forms. I've definitely toyed with the idea that "neural network" like waves could exist in the crystal like surfaces of neutron stars. So that's where my view rested for a long time.

But recently I sort of had a "You're stupid for not seeing this" epiphany. Basically it was from messing around with Conway's game of life, reading extensively about cellular automata, and also reading about reproduction in context of information theory. Systems which show signs of "emergence" are very interesting. They are not rigorously defined enough to my liking right now, but they are clearly some decently specific thing mathematically. I'm sorry this is so all over the place : p Even ignoring emergence, if we say non trivial reproduction we have a decently straight forward thing to look for mathematically.

What I am getting it is this: very, very few systems have the capability to make things organize meaningfully much less reproduce on any level, especially without intervention. It is true that life adapts to the universe. But a universe must also be adapted to allow life. An absurd percent of systems, if we can take such a thing, would not allow any sort of non repetitive order. We can't even find, make, or imagine a system that left alone leads to a reproducing structure which alters itself in each successive generation, much less one that doesn't arise specifically from a very precise blue print we give it initially.

So that's the sort of thing I have been thinking about. I want to hear your thoughts. I am probably preaching to the choir.

-Strike

#153 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:57 AM

Before the big bang:

The force of gravity outweighs the strong/weak/electromagnetic forces (since all matter exists at a singularity)
At that density, matter paradoxically occupies volume smaller than it's frequency
One current concept treats this state like black hole singularities

Very shortly afterward(10^-34 seconds), the universe expanded and was hot (10^32 degrees C), but forces fell in line with how we understand them using modern physics.

Before that point, we lose the ability to predict previous states of matter (we have no 'information') and physics equations break down.

Based on the discovery and observation of gravity waves, time progresses slightly faster/slower across distances in a way that does not depend predominantly on gravitation.

I interpret that phenomena as time (the progression of interactions between information involving certain levels of energy) having a 'real' component and an 'imaginary' component (though this may not line up with Hawking's imaginary time/Wick transform math approach). Another way to think about it is that time has a constant component and a variational component. I propose that constant time approaches 0 before the big bang and that the variational component dominates the action of 'matter' in a way that manifests as the matter occupying a very small space simultaneously to an observer, but actually the matter present at any moment is partially in the past and partially in the future, simultaneously. In quantum electrodynamics, the Feynman path integral takes interactions between particles before and after the current time into consideration. For example, the energy governing a photon and electron collision has some contributions based on their state before and after the current time. If that is extended to the big bang singularity, where matter at that state is basically pure energy most of the time, I think it's reasonable for QED interactions to be applied and energy contributions to be applicable much further into the current past and future. The tipping point where the Universe begins to expand happens once the entropic contributions to matter rearranging outweigh the conversion back to other forms of energy.

My ideas about what energy and entropy are start to become purely philosophical so I'll leave it at that. What do you guys think? The math gets all spectral-dominant and I believe it could be studied by wavelet decomposition and Monte Carlo methods, but who knows? 

Also THIS

Edited by peteandwally, 09 February 2017 - 01:08 AM.

• Eddy likes this

#154 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:26 PM

Was found organic material on Ceres : 

https://www.nasa.gov...erial-on-ceres/

#155 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:35 AM

Astronomy: is alot like a Zelda classic script - if you have everything out of the right order it won't function right or not at all, in all your editors, thus is the reason we have certain planets or odd chemical structures in space - being in located near certain set locations that work to support life like nodes in order for certain 'various shelves of life' to survive evolve and thrive.

The moon simply being one of these examples. Without it, what would happen to the earth?
would the tides possibly rise? ..

also without the sun the earth would simply be reduced too an ice planet or never even be, in the first place.
Would the earth still even be here surviving if we simply oneday 'lost' our sun?

Space is constantly expanding 'by our standards' ~ outside it too other beings, the blink of an eye possibly, to their own standards.

When our standards change - then we may finally reach beyond the heavens and all our stressed limits. 

(Emphasis, mine.)

This is an interesting cosmological question, that I did in fact explore in a storytelling session. In the scenario, a star was removed from its solar system--the means, purely fictional. My judgement, was that the sudden lack of gravity in a location, would cause an inversion in the warping of space, that immediately disrupted the orbits of every solar body.

Further, this generated a velocity alteration of each body, and a shift in the distance between bodies. The overall result was not pretty, but I'm not certain if we have any mathematical model that could predict what might occur in reality, should that occur. Simply removing that much mass, and replacing it with empty space, is beyond our ability; and may not be possible in any physics model, but if it were, it would require spacefolding, or additional dimensions of motion, to accomplish.

-------------

Overall, I am far more intellectually interested in cosmology, and in physics--particularly extensions to general relativity, and quantum mechanics; but astronomy is certainly gorgeous. The aspect of astronomy that gives me mental goose pimples, is exoplanetary study.

--Just noticed that I  quoted a post from February, 2015; not 2017.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 18 February 2017 - 02:40 AM.

#156 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:57 PM

(Emphasis, mine.)

This is an interesting cosmological question, that I did in fact explore in a storytelling session. In the scenario, a star was removed from its solar system--the means, purely fictional. My judgement, was that the sudden lack of gravity in a location, would cause an inversion in the warping of space, that immediately disrupted the orbits of every solar body.

Further, this generated a velocity alteration of each body, and a shift in the distance between bodies. The overall result was not pretty, but I'm not certain if we have any mathematical model that could predict what might occur in reality, should that occur. Simply removing that much mass, and replacing it with empty space, is beyond our ability; and may not be possible in any physics model, but if it were, it would require spacefolding, or additional dimensions of motion, to accomplish.

-------------

Overall, I am far more intellectually interested in cosmology, and in physics--particularly extensions to general relativity, and quantum mechanics; but astronomy is certainly gorgeous. The aspect of astronomy that gives me mental goose pimples, is exoplanetary study.

--Just noticed that I  quoted a post from February, 2015; not 2017.

is a scenario that cannot become realty, but if this is should happend in the solar system what will happend ? i think that gravity of Jupiter and Saturn will start to force the smallest planet to orbit around its and turn it in a small, cold, binary system ? or maybe all the 4 biggest planet will clash ?

#157 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:50 AM

Here's what would happen.....

Each solar system has a central mass that pulls on the orbiting bodies keeps a balance of gravity vs. centrifugal motion.

Take for instance a ball on a string tied to a pole.

*Lets say the pole does not have a swivel that the string is tied to, what happens? Well, the string acts as the tie "gravity" of the pole and there is not sufficient orbital force applied "not thrown hard enough", it increases the amount of "gravity". Gravity wins and the ball is pulled in and eventually collides with the pole.

*Now, lets place a swivel on that pole and "throw" the ball harder, what happens? What we get is a balance of gravity vs. Centrifugal force. The ball orbits the pole on a constant distance from the pole. The swivel acts as a balance between gravity and Centrifugal force.

*Finally, let's use a thinner string to tie to the pole with the swivel, What happens? What we get here is the ball will travel to the end of the string and since the string is not thick enough to counteract the outward force of Centrifugal force, doubling it's outward force. Centrifugal force wins and the string snaps and the ball goes flying off.

The final scenario is what you would see if you take a Solar mass out of any system and remove its gravitational effect on the orbiting bodies.

The bodies will continue there motion, but with the sudden absence of the gravimetric force, they fly off into the cosmos to become rogue worlds.

In the space that is left after the solar mass is removed, gravity will ripple in and back out much like the ripple of water when you drop something in it.

That being said, I really am enjoying reading the discussions here.

I tried starting something like this years ago on here. I am glad to see it was revived.

FYI, I am an astrophysicist at heart.

Edited by Rocksfan13, 20 February 2017 - 12:05 PM.

• Dark Ice Dragon likes this

#158 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:05 PM

i bet you already hear this news, but what you guys think about this ?

https://saturn.jpl.n...r-solar-system/

#159 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:56 AM

i bet you already hear this news, but what you guys think about this ?

https://saturn.jpl.n...r-solar-system/

THAT is awesome.

#160 Chris Miller

Chris Miller

The Dark Man

• Banned

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:31 AM

Mars at midday, from a panorama shot taken by the rover.

N1htuYZ.png

• Nathaniel, Anthus, Eddy and 3 others like this

#161 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:34 PM

Ready fo the sun Eclipse of the 21 August ? unfortunately for me,  is not visible in my country, i will need to look it in internet this time, but who live in America will be able to see it

Edited by Dark Ice Dragon, 17 August 2017 - 04:37 PM.

• Anthus and peteandwally like this

#162 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:48 PM

Mars at midday, from a panorama shot taken by the rover.

[pic]

I thought that was a screenshot from No Man's Sky. It has about the same amount of content. :P

Ready fo the sun Eclipse of the 21 August ? unfortunately for me,  is not visible in my country, i will need to look it in internet this time, but who live in America will be able to see it

Yep, I have my eclipse glasses. It's only a total eclipse for a 60-mile wide stretch. The part of the US I live in is about 100 miles away, so it'll be about 80-90% eclipsed. It's from about 1PM EST to about 4PM EST with the maximum being at about 2:30 lasting only six minutes or so. I'm pretty excited about it. I get off work at 2 that day, so I'll be driving home during it. Hopefully people can still keep their eyes on the road.

• Dark Ice Dragon and Lüt like this

#163 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:13 AM

I'm a bit bummed that I won't be able to see the total solar eclipse. I was planning on driving from here to St Louis to see it, but I'm unfortunate enough to be in the Monday anatomy lab group, and I'd rather not get kicked out of school for missing a mandatory lab. Our instructor's letting us out for five minutes to see the height of the partial eclipse at least, so that'll be cool. But no totality for me. :(
  • Anthus, Eddy and strike like this

#164 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:05 AM

^ You should have majored in astronomy, then I'm sure the eclipse would be a lab. :P

I'm pretty excited. We're having an "eclipse party" (read: excuse to day drink on a Monday) at my house.

This is a useful site to see when the eclipse will happen near you. Just plug in your zip code, or city:

https://www.timeandd.../in/@z-us-43206

#165 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:12 PM

and here the eclipse, it have "helmet streams" too :

madras_strip.jpg

• Anthus and Eddy like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users