The Official Quest Screenshot Critique Thread

• Please log in to reply
7943 replies to this topic

#7261 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:31 PM

Looks pretty epic. I don't like the black outline on Lanayru sprite though. Well just how the only black lines it has is on the outline, not in the sprite itself, if that makes sense? And maybe add some detail to the water, perhaps how like MC water uses detail. 

• Sheik likes this

#7262 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 November 2016 - 06:33 AM

Well, I decided to use the pillars for another location and made a serious redo of the screen:

aGIKScW.png

• Eddy and Jared like this

#7263 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 27 November 2016 - 01:56 PM

I see what you are getting at, especially with the palette. I doubt though, that it will look good with sprites on it. The problem with palettes such as this is the great discrepancy to the sprite colors imo.
  • Naru likes this

#7264 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:58 AM

There, updated it. It's final. I need to start working on the area before I get sick of it already. :P

Just in case you didn't scroll up:

aGIKScW.png

• Omega and Jared like this

#7265 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 29 November 2016 - 01:42 PM

Tried seeing what would happen if I removed shadows from the mountains in DoR Hybrid. And this was the result:

ypZF4aJ.png

IMO I seem to like it more without shadows and it gives me a lot more space to put stuff, so I might just end up going with this rather than having shadows (dunno how easy it would be to go back now since I accidentally replaced the old tiles :P gg me)

Also this may or may not be a screen for a quest I'm working on with an idea I've had for several years now...

• Omega, Shane and coolgamer012345 like this

#7266 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:23 PM

This isn't really from a quest, but it is from the old rpg I wanted to make way back. Some of you may have seen these tiles before actually, but I did make some changes, and I also added the shadows. I always wanted the game to have a dynamic shadow system so I tried to emulate that the best I could. This isn't from something I'm making right now, however I am currently writing something that would likely end up using these graphics if it ever became more than just a document. We'll see.

4Ct6Zjx.png

• Shane, Eddy, Sheik and 4 others like this

#7267 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:53 PM

Wow, that shading. That's amazing. Desperately looking for something to critique. Oh, um, the guy's face looks dorky. Or something.

But dang, that shading!

• Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder likes this

#7268 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:06 AM

Thank you! I felt like I was cheating when I made it, because it's just a transparent layer, or two to be specific. Here's what it looks like without the background and the objects visible:

ECfHKFs.png

#7269 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:15 AM

Thank you! I felt like I was cheating when I made it, because it's just a transparent layer, or two to be specific. Here's what it looks like without the background and the objects visible:

ECfHKFs.png

Even Robin's shading overlays make for pretty screens. Damn, dude.

• Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder, coolgamer012345 and Naru like this

#7270 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:09 PM

Looks great Robin. One minor thing: the shadow that is cast by the chair would not have a sharp (dark) line on the side. Shadows are usually blurred on the edges and hence aren't darker but lighter relative to the rest. Shadows only really get dark where they are closest to the object that casts them, when there is a powerful lightsource (high contrast) or where shadows overlap. Edit: And, well, in a bunch of other cases. But not around the edges where they actually blurr out.

Edited by Sheik, 30 November 2016 - 04:11 PM.

#7271 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:44 PM

Ah, the days when THP turned into Project...Phoenix?

#7272 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:35 PM

Looks great Robin. One minor thing: the shadow that is cast by the chair would not have a sharp (dark) line on the side. Shadows are usually blurred on the edges and hence aren't darker but lighter relative to the rest. Shadows only really get dark where they are closest to the object that casts them, when there is a powerful lightsource (high contrast) or where shadows overlap. Edit: And, well, in a bunch of other cases. But not around the edges where they actually blurr out.

Good points. I'm gonna play around with it some more. Thanks!

Ah, the days when THP turned into Project...Phoenix?

Hehe. It may have been called Project Phoenix for a while, I actually don't remember (but the name sounds familiar). I gave it the name Inferno eventually, though the game probably would have ended up being called something else. It was very clearly a 'spiritual successor' to THP though, in almost every way. If this game ever gets made now, it's going to be a very different kind of experience. More story focused, and it wouldn't be open world either (though it would have some levels that allows exploring). We'd follow 3 or 4 main characters, each with their own story lines which might intercept each other and end up meeting the other characters etc. If you've played any of the Tell Tale games, imagine a mixture between that and an action adventure game.

#7273 cavthena

cavthena

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:23 AM

More progress on the Overworld. Please ignore a few tile errors. thoughts?

M5xA8TX.png

• Neppy, Omega and Jared like this

#7274 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:47 AM

Looking nice cavthena, very ALTTP-like.:) Not much to say.. maybe add more detail to the water, some fish, weeds, etc. Maybe more caves on the land parts. :P

Anyhow, here's a couple screens from the game I'm (back finally) to making:

mfYraYf.png

aQrnr7B.png

• Eddy and MoscowModder like this

#7275 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:13 AM

Maybe it looks better in ZC, but the first screen is way too dark. The lava, pots, torches, and railroads are the only thing I can see. I can't tell where the walls are or where the doors are.

The second screen is nice, but the walls that jut out into the center look strange because they exists on 2 different levels of elevation. Seperating them into 2 distinct levels of elevation might make them look a little more normal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users