Retina Display

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 03 October 2016 - 04:25 AM

So, my Mac was having serious issues and I had to get a new computer in a hurry to get my homework done. This one has "retina display" with is an extremely high number of pixels per inch, and I must say images looks incredibly sharp, but... when I'm looking at ZC screenshots, for instance, they're 72 DPI and they look blurry because I'm not seeing a 1:1 pixel ratio. This could make it very difficult for me to make pixel art depending on what software I'm using. And it just makes it hard to look at ZC screenshots posted on this forum.

Any ideas? I'd really like to view images at a 72 DPI native resolution so I get a clear image when I'm looking at low-res pixel art like ZC screenshots and stuff

:/

#2 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:43 AM

You can put the display into a Low Resolution mode by holding the Option key when clicking the "Scaled" radio button, which is in the resolution settings in the Display preference pane. A checkbox will appear below the list of resolutions allowing you to toggle showing said low resolutions. Things will generally still look pretty blurry, though, unless you set your display to the max it supports (on my 4K iMac I can set it to 4096x2304, but I need a microscope to see anything on the screen at that point.)

#3 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 03 October 2016 - 10:24 AM

Holding option just make a "Detect Displays" button appear in the lower right under the "Scaled" radio button. There are four resolution options, but yeah forum screenshots are blurry in all of them.  :worried:

Guess this idea is too "ahead of its time"

EDIT: Actually pressing command +/- to zoom in and out on the browser is helpful

EDIT: Okay, not by a whole lot

EDIT: Okay, not really at all (it did look pretty good on 2X shots, but not 1x)

EDIT: So as long as I can view 72dpi images at 2X I can get a clear image

EDIT: Zooming all the way out with command -, 2X screenshots look fine. 1x looks terrible at any setting

Edited by Cukeman, 03 October 2016 - 10:37 AM.

#4 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:54 PM

I mean, actually click on the Scaled radio button while holding Option, even if it's already ticked. You should end up with a resolution picker, like this:

retina1.png

I keep forgetting that I have to downscale screenshots for posting them on the Internet now that I'm using a Retina display -- the above image was twice as big at first.

#5 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 03 October 2016 - 03:47 PM

I don't have that option. Option just adds/hides a Detect Diplay button (screen captures don't work when I'm holding down option). Are you using the latest OS?

#6 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 03 October 2016 - 06:13 PM

I'm running Sierra (my iMac shipped with it.) So you're saying that you are indeed holding Option *and* clicking on the Scaled radio button, and it's not giving you those options?

This article exists on the subject as well:

https://support.appl.../en-us/HT202471

#7 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 03 October 2016 - 06:47 PM

You could also try disabling the blurring in the browser. In Firefox, you can do it in about:config. Toggle gfx.filter.nearest.force-enabled and relaunch.
For other browsers, you can apply some CSS: http://nullsleep.tum...-modern-web#_=_

#8 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 05 October 2016 - 11:42 PM

You could also try disabling the blurring in the browser. In Firefox, you can do it in about:config. Toggle gfx.filter.nearest.force-enabled and relaunch.
For other browsers, you can apply some CSS: http://nullsleep.tum...-modern-web#_=_

That about:config setting doesn't seem to do anything for http://www.giantitp....s/oots1054.html when the comic is zoomed in (Zoom to 400% to most easily observe the anti-aliasing). I also tried a userContent.CSS tweak and that didn't work either (Firefox 49.x, Windows 10). I believe Mozilla staff are still quibbbling over how to properly implement support for nearest neighbour Zooming In (It's apparently become a recent implementation in some "standard", recent like within the last 2 years).

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 05 October 2016 - 11:44 PM.

#9 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:50 PM

I use Safari for PZC, and it looks like CSS offers a 'nearest neighbor' option, but I have no idea where to paste and apply CSS to affect my browser

#10 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:07 AM

http://apple.stackex...-retina-display

i wish i understood what the suggestion is

#11 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 28 October 2016 - 03:57 AM

Install Stylish add-on for Safari, use Stylish to write a new style and copy/paste the code example. Save it and enable the style.

#12 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 29 October 2016 - 03:49 AM

Where do I paste the code?

#13 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 01 November 2016 - 11:00 AM

"User Styles" category will appear in the Add-ons section of Firefox. From there there is a button called "Write new Style", click it. Now paste the code in the giant text box and fill in the Name field, now save it and enable the User Style.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 01 November 2016 - 11:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users