ad block

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:18 AM

Which Ad Block site is the official software? I don't want to download a bogus one. I'd rather not download it at all, but there's a YouTube site I go to for news, but I cannot stand the remaining content and don't want to increase their revenue.

#2 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:19 AM

Ad blocking is good anyway because it can help reduce drive-by malware downloads. Look up uBlock Origin; it has a lighter footprint than AdBlock or ABP and works better, besides also having script blocking capabilities.

• Magi_Hero, thepsynergist and The Satellite like this

#3 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:36 PM

I also suggest uBlock Origin. There was a point in time when AdBlock/ABP was notably better at collapsing/removing the giant blank squares where an ad used to be, but now I find the difference negligible at best.

uMatrix is also very good, but it's a little more technical, and can take some time and testing to configure up proper allowances for certain pages to load correctly. Still, I managed to figure it out surprisingly quick, which means that probably anybody could figure it out if they take a few minutes and do some trial and error testing on a bloated page (any news site should work).

• thepsynergist likes this

#4 Joey2216

Joey2216

Junior

• Members

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:03 PM

I use uBlock Origin 

#5 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:06 PM

uBlock Origin is definitely where it's at.

#6 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:49 AM

thanks

#7 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:42 AM

well, it blocks some but not all youtube ads

Edited by Cukeman, 23 April 2017 - 03:02 PM.

#8 AdmiralJaden

AdmiralJaden

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:05 PM

well, it only blocks some not all youtube ads

Try also using AdBlocker Ultimate, or Adguard. Both of those allow you to right click on an ad, and it gives you the choice to block the element (which you may have to do a few times, sometimes sites will have 'covers' on an ad). Using those along with Ublock origin will probably be your best bet.

#9 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:10 PM

I do have to thank you for pointing out uBlock Origin in this thread. I have noticed over the past few months that AdBlock Plus has been becoming a very big resource hog, and I would restart the extension, and within 5-10 minutes, it was back to using about the same amount of RAM as it was prior to restarting it. uBlock works the same, except for better, and it doesn't take a huge bite out of my memory.

#10 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:33 PM

well, it blocks some but not all youtube ads

Eh, I know the ads are annoying (I use an adblocker, myself), but YouTube ads, in particular, are often the primary source of income for content creators, it's really not right to block those ads, especially since they don't/can't install any form of malware. I have ABP disabled for YouTube and other video sites for which the ads are important to the content creators.

Edited by Binx, 29 April 2017 - 10:33 PM.

• Neppy and Ammako like this

#11 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:14 AM

Eh, I know the ads are annoying (I use an adblocker, myself), but YouTube ads, in particular, are often the primary source of income for content creators, it's really not right to block those ads, especially since they don't/can't install any form of malware. I have ABP disabled for YouTube and other video sites for which the ads are important to the content creators.

I noticed with uBlock Origin, youtube attempts to load an ad, but it just black screens for a couple seconds then resumes the video.  Doesn't work 100% of the time, but it's rare that it doesn't work.

#12 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:25 AM

Oh believe me, I allow ads for lots of channels I follow, but there's this one channel that's terrible...

Edited by Cukeman, 02 May 2017 - 04:07 AM.

#13 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:22 AM

I've had to revert back to just regular Adblock, after both Adblock Plus and uBlock Origin started causing audio/video lag on Youtube and other video services. Switching to the old Youtube player fixes it though then it won't keep track of where in the video you are if you happen to close out and so on, and given that it affects other sites as well that doesn't have such options, I replaced them with Adblock.

It's more noticeable on longer videos (20 min or longer), where the audio will slowly fall out of sync with the video. Pausing the video generally fixes it for a short amount of time, but it will gradually lose sync still.

I've seen others have this issue as well though I have yet to find a real solution. Does anyone happen to have heard of this, and possibly also a fix? Not that Adblock isn't capable on its own, but there's a few popups on some video streaming sites that it doesn't catch before the window has actually been opened (though it usually does close it fairly quickly, before it has the time to load anything, so its not that big of a problem).

#14 Ammako

Ammako

Initiate

• Members

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:16 PM

I noticed with uBlock Origin, youtube attempts to load an ad, but it just black screens for a couple seconds then resumes the video.  Doesn't work 100% of the time, but it's rare that it doesn't work.

I don't know if that's still the case, but as far as I'm aware, they added some optional survey thing that sometimes shows up only once at the start of a video, which ad blockers prevent from loading, causing this problem.
The fix was to disable the ad blocking, let the survey load, opt out, and then re-enable ad blocking.

Like I said though, that was a few months ago and I wouldn't know if this is still the case.

(I'd probably have to agree about ads on YouTube being much safer, though, but I can't fault anyone for choosing to block them either tbh.)

Edited by Ammako, 17 May 2017 - 09:16 PM.

#15 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:18 PM

Sort of off-topic, but don't know where to post it, and not worth a whole thread, but:

Closed an ad and got the following pop-up:

What was wrong with this ad?

-Repetitive

-Inappropriate

-Irrelevant

Wait, where is the choice "It's an ad", isn't it obvious people don't like to see ads?

Dislike when the list of options is incomplete.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users