• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:03 PM

Okay, so I may be wrong here. I'm running WIndows 8.1. Suddenly today out of the blue, I now have the option on my logon screen to log into my computer with True Key, which is apparently a face scanning thing. 

I don't want it there, and I can't find it in my programs to uninstall it. Can anyone help me?

#2 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:48 AM

It's a windows component not a program, so you'd have to disable it via that menu instead. Not quite sure where it's located in 8 since I don't run it myself though.
  • Jared likes this

#3 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:58 AM

Isn't it an Intel thing?

#4 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:36 PM

Well that's why I'm confused. It appeared out of nowhere!

#5 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:52 PM

Isn't it an Intel thing?

Ah, you're right. I assumed it was the built in windows facial recognition login software, hurm.

According to what I'm reading online it should be available in the add/remove software menu with everything else installed.

#6 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:34 PM

It's also distributed by McAfee, so you might try looking for that. Looks like it may have been quietly bundled with a Flash update.
I few people have mentioned an uninstaller, C:\Program Files\TrueKey\Mcafee.TrueKey.Uninstaller.Exe. There's an official removal tool at http://mcaf.ee/mcpr and an open-source tool at https://sourceforge....beflashupdater/.
  • ShadowTiger and Jared like this

#7 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:59 PM

That must have been what it was, Saffith. But your first solution worked like a charm! Thank you so much!

#8 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 24 June 2016 - 02:11 PM

Adobe is a sneaky piece of shit. Be weary when doing any Flash or Reader DC installs/updates.
  • Jared likes this

#9 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 25 June 2016 - 11:00 AM

be wary and weary.

#10 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 26 June 2016 - 12:01 PM

I wonder if it's one of those silent ticked boxes, similar to all those 'Ask.com toolbar' pieces of rubbish that is bundled with so much 'free' softeare. You know, the extra nonsense that you need to actively disable during the installer options prompts, that most people never notice as they rush through all the 'next' prompts.

Evilware.
  • Jared likes this

#11 Kivitoe

Kivitoe

Sponsored by Taco Bell

• Members

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:01 PM

I wonder if it's one of those silent ticked boxes, similar to all those 'Ask.com toolbar' pieces of rubbish that is bundled with so much 'free' softeare. You know, the extra nonsense that you need to actively disable during the installer options prompts, that most people never notice as they rush through all the 'next' prompts.

Evilware.

It is a "Tickbox". Before you download the Flash or Reader DC installer it shows you a page similar to that of the one in the Java installer that Asks you if you want to install the Ask toolbar. Which asks if you want to install Intel TrueKey and/or McAfee. I ALWAYS check pages in the webpage and the installer thoroughly before continuing.

#12 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 04 July 2016 - 11:24 PM

It is a "Tickbox". Before you download the Flash or Reader DC installer it shows you a page similar to that of the one in the Java installer that Asks you if you want to install the Ask toolbar. Which asks if you want to install Intel TrueKey and/or McAfee. I ALWAYS check pages in the webpage and the installer thoroughly before continuing.

Precisely. I see this routinely in 'freeware', but in freely distributed commercial software, it's an atrocity.

#13 Kivitoe

Kivitoe

Sponsored by Taco Bell

• Members

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:09 PM

Precisely. I see this routinely in 'freeware', but in freely distributed commercial software, it's an atrocity.

It used to be worse with freeware because of the "Sourceforge Installer". Luckily, they stopped using the installer. You can read more about that here: https://en.wikipedia...forge_Installer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users