Design Concepts and Ideas

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#121 Reflectionist

Reflectionist

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:11 AM

^ I like that idea.  You could almost make a Majora's Mask inspired quest out of it, or expand the idea to include the ZC-ized version of the Time Clock from MM, then there are options.  Like....

Okay, I really love this old Windows 95 game called "Chip's Challenge" and I would absolutely love to see some of those mechanics included into a ZC quest.  Sure, there are locks and keys already in both games, but Chip's Challenge features color-coded keys and locks--red, blue, yellow, and green.  Yes, in both games, you get flippers to access water areas, so that's already perfectly implemented.  Chip's Challenge has color-coded boots and terrain, too.  There are lots of other features that I think would work great, and some other features that might not.  

Honestly, the bar is set at the translation of the Zelda: OoT Goddess Spells in Zelda Classic.  They're great interpretations, but no, of course they're not exactly like Ocarina.  But I think Chips Challenge has a lot to offer Zelda Classic.  

Chip%27s_Challenge_Southpole.png

Edited by Reflectionist, 04 January 2017 - 07:21 AM.

• Alucard648 likes this

#122 LikeLike on fire

LikeLike on fire

vaugly coherent

• Members

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:17 AM

Here's an idea that I've only seen one person do. Have two dungeon areas per dungeon. The entrance area and boss area. Once you've gotten all the items from the entrance area you can move onto the (smaller) boss area.

Here's another one that I used once a while back. Have the triforce room warp you to a place that has extra text congratulating you or telling you what to do next, or maybe something like the with the maidens in ALttP?

I was kind of doing the extra text for my LikeLike one. which I need to get back to. screen with talking after getting triforce item. dosen't tell you where to go though.

#123 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:09 PM

I was kind of doing the extra text for my LikeLike one. which I need to get back to. screen with talking after getting triforce item. dosen't tell you where to go though.

I posted that six years ago. What a world.

But it's a good idea and I thank you for reminding me of it.

#124 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:08 PM

I actually am trying to create dungeonwalls that are only seen from the front. It slowly progresses and while it is not as easy to set up as I hoped I think I can make it. So I am thinking about what is coming next - the doors. Has someone ideas how to make it visible what kind of door the side and bottom has? I am thinking about leaving a mark and a raised/unraised block above the wall to indicate it, but not sure if this will be obvious enough.

#125 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:19 AM

How about instead of basing a dungeon off a visual theme, we base them on a concept or story and build the visual theme around that? For example.

Noah's Ark
Go into a full story arc even. Show the tale of a person being outcasted for speaking a ludicrous story. Have a great flood destroy an entire village.

The Ten Plagues of Egypt
Explore the tale of a king who falls from grace for not heeding to warnings. Have him even ignore the plagues warning him of his downfall. Base a dungeon itselt off the ten plagues.

Some more ideas, I have been thinking on...

1. A rupee drop on death system. Where you drop half your rupees on death but leave behind a rupee bag where you can get them back.

2. A system which causes the player to start with a smaller percentage of health with each death.

3. An economy system where the economy can change based on certain factors. This can affect things such as the amount of rupees found in grass and the price of items in shops.

Yes these are based on Dark Souls.

More concepts and ideas.

How about make a side story quest using something from Zelda, or whatever you wish.

I am doing some brainstorming on an idea for a quest based on The Resistance.

But here's some other ideas for basing a quest on.

The Yiga Clan
Veran, Onox
Vaati
Princess Hilda

Think of what might be an interesting idea or character/group to explore.
  • Jared, coolgamer012345 and Twilight Hero like this

#126 Zagut

Zagut

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 25 June 2017 - 03:08 PM

==Overworld==

-Season Forest

Overworld Area where you can change the seasons.

-Badlands

A dry area, with plenty of Rocks and Mountains, and very low in water, grass and the like.

-Dead Forest

Dying Forest filled with Dead Trees, and a few living, but not many.

-Overgrown Mountain

Mountain covered with growth, very grassy, and plenty of trees.

-Snowcano

A Snowy Mountain with Lava.  :P

-Rainforest

A Rainy area with plenty of Trees, Bushes, and other green things.

==Dungeon==

-Temperature

A dungeon where you have to change the heat level, enabling the freezing of water, the melting of ice blocks, etc.

-Jinx

A dungeon that puts Bubbles and Jinx effects to use.

-Power

A Futuristic dungeon that involves turning the power on and off.

-Wind Direction

Involves changing where the wind is blowing.

and finally...

Bloodline Temple

A Dungeon that has records of past Hylian Heroes, and Link Statues.

Link would come face to face with past heroes of hyrule here.

Edited by Zagut, 25 June 2017 - 03:13 PM.

• Shane, Jared and Twilight Hero like this

#127 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:54 PM

Just leaving a dumb idea behind, for sure nothing new and even worse they require scripts.

Pay for magic with life. Based on having regeneration for both I think. Stuff like if your magic isn't full you take double damage or your health regeneration will be stopped until your magic is full again. I am sure there are countless games that do this, but I can't remember one and it sure is nice to spice things up a bit.

Exploration limited by rupees. Your rupees degenerate over time. A dungeon that teleports you outside if the amount of rupees you possess reaches zero. Shouldn't be done with a main dungeon, but for a side dungeon it adds a nice stress-factor and it is a great way to reduce the players money. Especially if it is set up in a way meant for multiple visits and not for a single turn.

#128 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 09 September 2017 - 11:43 PM

Bosses get stronger every time you die, eventually becoming unbeatable.

---

A treasure chest that spawns enemies when open.

A treasure chest that explodes when open, immediately dealing 8 hearts in damage to Link.

• strike likes this

#129 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 10 September 2017 - 02:12 AM

Bosses get stronger every time you die, eventually becoming unbeatable.
---
A treasure chest that spawns enemies when open.
A treasure chest that explodes when open, immediately dealing 8 hearts in damage to Link.

Hahah. I've done these things. Booby trapped chests, monster in a box, and enemies that 'learn'.
  • Alucard648 likes this

#130 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:49 AM

Hahah. I've done these things. Booby trapped chests, monster in a box, and enemies that 'learn'.

Link Stuck in Castlevania has far more sinister booby traps involving candelabras, culminating with instant death on whipping wrong one late in game.

#131 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:46 AM

Link Stuck in Castlevania has far more sinister booby traps involving candelabras, culminating with instant death on whipping wrong one late in game.

I'm quite aware of this. :D

Oh, FWIW. 2.54 will have MSX fonts, if you want to revisit an MSX CV port.

#132 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 10 September 2017 - 01:14 PM

I'm quite aware of this. :D

Oh, FWIW. 2.54 will have MSX fonts, if you want to revisit an MSX CV port.

I would prefer CV3 gothic font.

#133 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:37 PM

I'm not sure how well received this idea would be, but what if instead of exploring a world like in a Zelda game, you instead go through stages?

*crickets intensify*

Okay, but hear me out. These stages can have various routes, and connect to other paths in other stages. This means you could theoretically take several routes through the same game, finding the most enjoyable/ fastest/ coolest route. Backtracking is discouraged, and in some cases impossible, more on this later. You could even take it a step further, and get rid of the way items are traditionally used. Instead of the "find item, get boss key, beat boss" approach, different stages could have you use different items that you either start with, or find. This might not make sense from a story standpoint, cause why are you losing everything between stages, but anyway, it could be fun. You start a level with the Sword, Bow, Bombs, but you will need to find either the hookshot, or candle to progress. You would always have a few items, and there might even be a way to keep items, but this will depend on the level design themselves. Really, it's pretty much how FSA did it, except you can have more than one sub-item. The story could be made around this too, if that's your thing. There could be reasons why you'd take a different path. You'd meet different characters, etc. Losing items could be explained as 'traveling through different dimensions' or something else dumb like that.

EDIT: I was also thinking it would be cool to have the player choose one of two characters at the beginning. Different sprites are simple enough to implement with a dummy item and LTMs, but you could take it a step further, and make them play slightly differently too. You wouldn't really need a script for this either, but it would be pretty simplistic. Basically, whichever character you choose uses its own d-maps for the stages which will have certain items either on, or off. For example, char1 can use the bow, but char2 can use the wand. One has regular bombs, two has remote bombs. One takes more damage while dealing more damage, and one has higher defense, but weaker attacks, or some such variants. This is something relatively simple (Okay, not really once you get into the logistics of setting up the d-maps, and subscreens) but I think it could be fun. If you wanted to go the scripting route, the sky is the limit. What I'd do is have it so that once you clear the game with one character, you can play through again with all the items you'd have found, and do a new game+ type of thing. Beating it with both characters allows either character to use ALL items (even ones they wouldn't normally have).

Would anyone here like a quest like that, assuming it was actually fun, and not a linear slog through uninspired areas? What if each level looked different, and had a different goal. You weren't just palette swapping areas, but instead, adding new puzzles, themes, enemies and hazards? The answer is probably yes, but I dunno. I know that people like there ZC a certain way, and ain't nobody gonna tell them otherwise :P

#134 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:13 PM

Level Concept

Mix together clocks, spikes traps and other enemies [like ropes], ala that classic Donkey Kong Country Stop & Go Station feel.
  • Anthus likes this

#135 ZeldaManiac

ZeldaManiac

• Members

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:25 PM

Overworld-

1. Make a dungeon entrance where once you get some sort of magical powder, you sprinkle it on a strange plot of land (led there by the story obviously) and the dungeon appears out of the ground

2. (This applies to overworld because after reaching this new area, you could activate a switch there that allows you to get back to the normal overworld) After beating a certain dungeon, your told to go back to a previous one. When you enter, there is a new path to take and doing so takes you to a new area out of the dungeon. Lets say this all takes place in a forest, then it would take you to a deeper part of the woods. here you see 3 unlit torches, and one screen up lies a bunch of rubble from an old temple. You have to go to a few screens, awaken old statues so that the torches light up once more. then once they are all lit, play a song to make the fires truly awaken. (EX: Song of Awakening) After this, the fire from the torches make the ground rumble because it lifted an old tower for the goddesses were the temple rubble was

Dungeon-

1. you find an old shipwreck that lies beneath the beach. Upon entering, you are greeted by a few of the ships dead crew members who are surprised to see you, but still tell you to turn back. you dont, and continue. After reaching the mini boss, you find out that its actually all the old crew members who came together to form a giant monster. after defeating them you get the dungeon item.... a gust jar. This will let you suck up sand that still lies around the wreckage. this allows you to reach the boss.when you enter the captains chamber which is the boss room, a guy who you talked to before entering the dungeon runs in and says that he is the captain and was the only one to escape. he knows what your looking for so he challenges you to a fight. I dont know how the fight would work, but it was just an idea i had)

2. After an encounter with the main enemy of the game, you awake in the past where an old temple lies nearby.When you enter, the place which is actually a knights training ground and it looks well taken care of, and so you fight the mini boss which is a knight who stops you for trespassing. After this, you get the magical harp from OoA. your then sent to the beginning. In the present, the your guider of this game tries to talk to you, and says that the harp lets you go through time. you use it to go to the future where the door to a now old knights training ground is open for you to enter. After reaching the halfway point, you will reach a now accessible outside area where you can use the harp. this last half of the dungeon requires you to keep switching through time until you finally reach the boss. The boss is in the present this time and after killing it, you get the next thing that you need

3. In the Royal graveyard, you reach the Kings grave. (this dungeon takes place in the past since its after the knights training ground) The kings grave is full of statues of the king. after reaching the mini boss which is an old Deathnut, you get the hookshot. The final boss is the Kings ghost who has a shield where when ever he has it out, you use your hookshot on it to lower his defense.

4. The last dungeon which is Hyrule castle, and it has the torch mechanic again, but this time there are 8 torches representing the 8 previous dungeons. Each part of the castle represents a different one. after lighting the 8 torches, the mini boss appears and then you can proceed after beating him. This gives you access to the kings chamber which is the entrance to the 2nd part of the final dungeon. The second part is.....

5. Below Hyrule. This dungeon is the largest one in the entire game, and is meant to occupy the entire space below Hyrule and all its other dungeons. its an elaborate cave system that test your skills that you have learned and making you apply them. At the end, you reach another boss which is actually a mini boss. After beating him, you reach the 3rd and finnal part which is.....

6. Hyrules Tower. This is an ancient tower that  can only be accessed in the past. Once making it out of below Hyrule, you play the harp to enter the tower when its not blocked off. halfway through you are able to change to the future where you finish the climb and fight the true final boss

Sidequest-

As a side quest, you are sent to the normal graveyard. (yes there are 2) When you come here after reaching an old text under the village elders house, two Ghinis will be seen talking to each other. They are talking about you and how your trying to stop the main bad guy. They then see you and start attacking. After killing them you receive the Hero's key which is used on the Hero's Gate here in the same graveyard. beyond the gate lies the old Hero's of Hyrule. reaching the biggest grave causes one of the hero's to wake up. he is surprised to see you and tells you that to access the hero's secret, you must prove yourself worthy. He send you on a quest that last up till the end of the 5 dungeon. He tells you to find the 8 Hero Gems of Hyrule and bring them to him. doing this rewards you with the entrance to his grave which not only holds one mini boss, but 2. Traveling though the first part, you come across the latest hero before you. He challenges you to a duel. doing so allows you to progress to the next part. halfway through you find another mini boss which is the 2nd latest hero before you. hes tougher, but after beating him you can finally move on. The final boss is the oldest and greatest hero, and after beating him he rewards you with his Sword and old tunic to prove that you are the true new hero.

*I know its a lot, but I have to say it somewhere because I suck at using Zelda Classic, or at least actually applying these ideas to dungeons

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users