Photo

Spicy hottest stuff you've heard of, tried etc.

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:49 PM

2. It's real Thai and they think you can't hang. :s

This one really bothers me. I ate a Thai place the other day that explicitly advertised that they don't tone down the spiciness from what you order. After I ordered a four and got a dish with absolute no spice, I just decided I wasn't eating there anymore.

But for a Thai place near where I live and another near where I work, I've managed to build up a reputation of being able to handle what I order. The place at home in particular. I ordered a 5 one day, and the owner/chef seemed amused. I assured that I really did want it, and so sure enough, she brought me a 5. She stood by to watch me suffer and laugh at my hubris, but when I ate it, and enjoyed it, she was really impressed. Since then, I've known that I actually get what I order.

At other places though... yeah. There was a place near school that was particularly bad about not bringing you food as spicy as you wanted if you were white. For background: my ex-girlfriend's Vietnamese, but doesn't like spicy food. We ate at this restaurant once. I ordered a 5, she ordered a 2. My "5" was nearly spiceless, while her "2" was too hot for her to eat (great for me though). We got in the habit of ordering each other's food at Thai restaurants after that.

The whole trend really bothers me. I get that Americans are wimps, but I hate how, if I'm a new place and want Thai, it's all but guaranteed that I won't actually get food as spicy as I want it. So in that sense, I'm with Aevin. Americans are wimps and I have to suffer for it.

This accidentally turned into a rant. Whoops.

#32 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:06 PM

I like spicy stuff. Cultures that eat spicy foods consistently have shown better immunity to bowel, and heart issues, but I'm no expert.

The hottest single thing I have eaten was a raw, whole jabanaro pepper. It was pretty damn hot, not gonna lie. Peppers are definitely better cooked, and not raw, especially the hotter they are. Jalepenos are no big deal for me at this point, even raw. They still have a kick, but it's tolerable and under all that heat there's a nice sweetness that especially comes out when cooked. Can't say the same for habaneros, they're just super hot, and bitter, but add a nice amount of heat when cooked.

As far as thai food goes, I had this spicy coconut milk based soup with whole chilis in it once, and it was awesome. I didn't eat the peppers whole, but the spice was good.

My favorite pepper? Cooked, fresh banana peppers (Not pickled like you'd find on pizza, or sandwiches). They are not that hot at all, but have a great pepper flavor. It's not all about spice. Peppers have a lot of different flavor profiles behind that fiery facade, including the complex Thai chilli peppers.
  • Russ likes this

#33 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:00 AM

Spiciest thing I've had is an internet meme. :(
  • Magi_Hero, Russ and coolgamer012345 like this

#34 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:39 AM

The worst I've tried: A small taste of a regular orange habanero pepper straight from the grocery store. I don't recommend ever doing that; it wasn't even so much like a spicy taste, as it was like putting something sharp in my mouth. Blech. And now some of you know why that's an item  that does what it does in LaZPoC. Actually, in hindsight, maybe it should've shot swordbeams, too?

However, habanero-jack cheese is pretty good if you're braced for it's spiciness, and in the right mood.

I've had sliced jalapenos, and I think I can handle them on their own, but they're better with stuff. They're good on sandwiches sometimes, and on pizza for those rare occasions when you've eaten pizza so often that you want to mix it up a little (sadly I haven't had the budget for that for a long time); although, for non-spicy nonconventional pizza toppings, I much prefer anchovies, which are pretty much just really salty fish.

I've had tobasco sauce? It's pretty mild and rarely all that great. Similar deal for those "hot" packets from Taco Bell, though I've yet to try their 'Diablo' ones. And picante salsa of various kinds, ranging from "this tastes like flavored water" (served at most Mexican food restaurants in the United States) to "hmm, this kind of builds on you, I should be careful" (Pace "Hot" Salsa, as opposed to their "Medium" and "Mild" varieties; that stuff is kinda good but I don't like the chunks, so I wind up wanting to eat the liquid and leave the pieces of stuff. That's more to do with my dislike of onion chunks than with spiciness, though. The little yellow jalapeno seeds floating in it are just fine with me).

There's this one kind of canned chili (that is, the thick brown stuff associated with hot dogs; in varieties with and without beans, the latter usually adding little beef chunks), "Wolf" brand (I've only ever found it at Wal Mart though), that is fairly hot. I liked it as a teenager, but here in my late 20s I find it overwhelming and wind up only eating it if I thin it way out across some refried beans. Like, 1/3 of a can of the chili to 1 can of refried beans; that's pretty good. However, most brands of chili are much more mild, sometimes even very dull; it varies a lot. I remember Hyvee had a spicy variant on their storebrand chili that was somewhat intense, but I haven't had that stuff in like 13 years.

Also, I'm confused about why anyone thinks chili powder is particularly hot. That stuff is more bitter than hot, and it takes forever to build up into genuine spiciness... extremely tame.

My basic thoughts on spicy stuff are:

• It's best to try it when you're overall well fed (that is, if you haven't been under-eating) and if you don't already have an upset stomach.
  • Have milk ready, if you can drink milk, because it fixes almost everything about spicy stuff to some extent. If you can't do milk, consider a sugary drink like soda even though it will be nasty and bitter when it goes to cancel out the spiciness. If all else fails, drink water, which you should probably be doing some of anyway.
  • Likewise, cheese always helps cancel this stuff out. I find mozarella is particularly absorbant and mild-ing, although the classic thing is Montery Jack. Cheddar kind of works but doesn't cancel out as much, plus it can be greasy when heated, and lots of spicy stuff is already greasy, so I'd say only add cheddar to stuff like chili if you don't mind grease.
  • It's fun to try a wide variety, but I tend to find jalapenos are a nice comfort ceiling; spicy enough to be interesting and taste good, but mild enough to not hurt or be overwhelming. Then again, I grew up in Texas (blech!), so YMMV.
  • I've seen people get hiccups from it (like in Azumanga Daioh) but I've never experienced this myself? Not sure how it works.

Edited by Mitsukara, 24 March 2017 - 05:59 AM.

#35 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:49 AM

i must admit i'm picky and always refuse spicy food from years, but maybe is time to try it again 

#36 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:51 AM

Have to agree with Anthus on the non-pickled peppers. Much yum. I tend to like the diced Jalapenos more though.

#37 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:27 AM

I've had both Blairs Sudden Death and Blair's Ultra Death, and despite Ultra being the "hotter" sauce, I found Sudden Death to be even more spicy. It's probably because Sudden is, true to it's name, instant, while Ultra is more lingering.

...I recently combined the two, covered it all over 2 Pogos (that's the Canadian name, I believe you'd call it a Corn Dog over in the states), and split them between me and a friend. We were both in pain for about 2 hours. Worth it though!

• Neppy likes this

#38 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:18 AM

Spiciest things I've ever had are probably Aevin and Russ's posts up there.  I mean, damn.

• Russ and Aevin like this

#39 Erdrick

Erdrick

Redeemed

• Members

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:04 AM

Probably the spiciest food I've ever had was McAlister's chicken tortilla soup. It has quite a kick but damn, it really helps when I have allergies or feeling under the weather.

#40 Castelia

Castelia

Fred Durst stan

• Members

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:10 AM

My mixtape

Not too bad, but the spiciest thing I've tasted is these chili noodle snack things called MAMA that people used to bring to school in primary. They were banned because someone got the chili powder stuck in their eye at one point.

• 4matsy and Magi_Hero like this

#41 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:11 AM

I've had those before.  I've a local vietnamese store that carries import ramen.  They were pretty good with a lime in it.

#42 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:08 AM

Spicy has always been a thing for me.

Try making pasta sauce with a little extra cayenne pepper.

I also tend to make chili a lot. I like the burn, so I put in diced green chilies, crushed red pepper, sometimes random hot sauce (Cholula preferred), diced jalapenos, cubanel peppers.. ok you get it.

Want the actual recipe? O.o

#43 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:28 AM

Aevin talking about having an enlightenment with spicy foods- I feel like I am completely in the dark. I find myself disagreeing with very spicy foods on a philosophical level. For me, I often see lots of spices on a meal as a barrier for entry as you have to build up some immunity to enjoy a dish. And usually in my experience, a spicy taste overpowers over flavors in a dish and makes the meal taste too uniform. The flavor gained from the spice has not compensated for the flavor lost from other ingredients. I'm wondering what I am not seeing about spicy foods : (

-Strike

#44 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:13 PM

Spicy has always been a thing for me.

Try making pasta sauce with a little extra cayenne pepper.

I also tend to make chili a lot. I like the burn, so I put in diced green chilies, crushed red pepper, sometimes random hot sauce (Cholula preferred), diced jalapenos, cubanel peppers.. ok you get it.

Want the actual recipe? O.o

I'd love to make it, but my family would probably kick me out of the house if I served that to them for dinner.  xD

#45 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 02 April 2017 - 04:26 PM

A few days ago, my family went out to breakfast with a friend's family. He bet me five dollars that I wouldn't drink a straight shot of habanero Tabasco straight out of the bottle.

Easiest damn five bucks I ever made. Should have seen the look on his face. Spent half an hour stealing glances at me, convinced that I should have been in pain or some kind of misery. Bit of an unpleasant aftertaste (personally, I think that habaneros and ghost peppers are good as far as heat, but have horrible flavor), but nothing intolerable until my food arrived.

• Anthus likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users