Metroid: Origins Version 2.0- Discussion/Help

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:18 PM

Like the title says if you have any issues such as previously undocumented bugs or glaring game-breaking errors; please report them here.

Screenshots are heavily appreciated, but not necessary since I can generally figure out where something is from the description.

If you're looking for an item to complete your percentage, wondering where to go next or having trouble with a boss; those answers can be found here as well.

This game has had a somewhat turbulent history, starting as an entry in the One-Month Winter Video Game Crossover Contest sponsored by ZoriaRPG.

Over the time since then, it has undergone many revisions to reach the state it is at now. Unfortunately, the amount of testing which has been done is limited; so many things may yet still need to be changed.

New features and or improvements may come at a later date. Suggestions along those lines will be considered.

Please note that there may be many things which I as the creator of this quest don't know because of a lack of feedback up to this point. So once again, feel free to express your opinions on this quest. I'll let you know if (or when) they might get done.

Above all, have fun!

Edited by ywkls, 21 June 2017 - 02:23 PM.

• MermaidCim and ZeldaClassicFan like this

#2 Gendof

Gendof

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:55 AM

After saving using F6, the restart takes me back to the opening cut scene.

As I noted when this was a demo, it is a very good quest!

#3 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 08 August 2016 - 01:44 PM

After saving using F6, the restart takes me back to the opening cut scene.

As I noted when this was a demo, it is a very good quest!

I really should have disabled F6 saving. The game employs a very complex save/warp system which allows you to get around easily but also means that if you don't use them; you'll automatically go back to the title screen.

#4 Gendof

Gendof

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 08 August 2016 - 05:26 PM

How do I use the save/warp system?

I have visited the "save stations" but nothing happens when I push enter/start.

#5 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:53 PM

I probably should have made some kind of in-game notice of this, though if you've used the 'map stations' you already know how.

Whenever you're near a save station, refill station, map station or the remains of a Galactic Federation soldier; an onscreen icon will change. It's the icon for the visor, which is activated by pressing Ex2.

Speaking of the map stations, right now they have a crude system where certain ones provide you with the locations of all items in an area. I'm hoping to eventually get a much better map system installed; but until then the current version will have to suffice.

#6 Gendof

Gendof

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:21 PM

For those playing, I strongly recommend that you write down how to use each item as you get it.

Also, arrange your buttons well, you will need them all.

• ywkls likes this

#7 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:15 AM

For those playing, I strongly recommend that you write down how to use each item as you get it.

Also, arrange your buttons well, you will need them all.

The only button not used is Ex4. I mostly spaced button assignments out so as to avoid conflicts between different scripts. The phase modulator and speed boost use the same button because they both work in a similar fashion. The hyper grip didn't originally have a button assigned, but I found that making it where it didn't automatically turn on was easier to utilize. Theoretically, I didn't have to assign a different button for the Metroid fire ability... but I did anyways.

And no, once you get the item; the game doesn't tell you how to use it a second time. There might be a way to add something like an "information booth", perhaps to the map stations; which would provide you with data on the items you currently have in your inventory. It wouldn't be too difficult, I don't think.

Edited by ywkls, 10 August 2016 - 09:16 AM.

#8 Gendof

Gendof

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:10 PM

Your "information booth" would be very helpful.  For me, taking time away from the quest seems to result in a complete lack of memory as to how to use the various weapons.

Again, I highly recommend this quest...play it!

• ywkls likes this

#9 griftersinas

griftersinas

• Members

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:07 PM

I found a bug trying to jump up the path caused me to glitch into the wall and transition to the right screen. I am now sliding in between them and can't get out.

http://imgur.com/a/uY3IR

#10 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:09 AM

I found a bug trying to jump up the path caused me to glitch into the wall and transition to the right screen. I am now sliding in between them and can't get out.

http://imgur.com/a/uY3IR

Which screen were you jumping from? And which one were you trying to get to? I think I can tell from the picture and edit correctly, but if I make a mistake; then that means this could happen to someone else.

Edited by ywkls, 11 August 2016 - 10:09 AM.

#11 griftersinas

griftersinas

• Members

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:27 AM

Here is the room i was in i was trying to go to the room above,

http://imgur.com/0ZXELVL

and her is the map of where i am at.

http://imgur.com/a/9zZoT

The room to the right is the one I was stuck transitioning through.

#12 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:28 AM

I thought as much. I'm going to edit those screens slightly, then test it out to see if I can still make it up that ledge afterward. Once I do, I'll update the database.

#13 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:45 PM

Alright, I've edited the room referred to by griftersinas, along with a few others reported in the quest's comments section by Epsalon ZX and tweaked one script slightly.

I'll probably try to sit down over the weekend and figure out what to do about providing either an information booth, or instructions on playing the quest. Or both.

#14 Zolias

Zolias

Retired Darknut Captain; Apprentice Wizrobe

• Members

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:12 PM

I'm just curious what the tango file is for; too much stuff I don't understand even before I put the game into my ZC file...

#15 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:57 PM

I'm just curious what the tango file is for; too much stuff I don't understand even before I put the game into my ZC file...

ZoriaRPG (who did a lot of work on the save/warp system) suggested that I include all of the scripts needed to run the game in the buffer. However, I felt that the tango.zh files could be kept in their own separate folder; since most people know what it is for. Those files are altered from the standard tango.zh setup slightly, although I'm not sure exactly how.

If you want to avoid having those files conflict with any existing tango.zh setup that you have, I'd suggest one of the following things.

1- Change the name of the directories for the tango.zh files included with the quest slightly, as well as how they're referenced in its buffer.

2. Copy the contents of those tango.zh files and paste them into the buffer, then eliminate them and the commands to import them.

3. Simply don't add those files to your folder. Their only purpose for existing is so that the entire script file for the game can be compiled.

Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users