BotW Timeline placement (SPOILERS)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Mibbitable

Mibbitable

Junior

• Members

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:24 PM

Okay, this may get a little messy and might hurt your head but hear me out.

In the very first memory of BotW, Zelda talks about the hero of the sky, time, and twilight. So BotW takes place after Twilight princess, right?

WRONG.

Koroks are in the game, meaning it will happen after Wind Waker. But "Mibbitable" you say, "Hyrule is flooded and long gone and they found a new place to call Hyrule."

Well, let us say that there is a new split in the timeline. During the fight with ganon, or even before the fight in Wind Waker, Link either vanished, or perished. 

Ganon then got his hands on the triforce, un-flooding the land of Hyrule to take control of it. But wait, in that timeline, Twilight Princess never happened? Who is to say that that is true? Twilight Princess could have taken place long after, while ganon was defeated by a new hero. That is why he shows up again in twilight princess. And then sometime after that, that is when the Divine Beast were created, sealing away the new ganon. That would explain why there are koroks and Rutos in BotW. But wait, there are also Zoras in BotW. They evolved into rutos right? Well, some of them. You only get to see a small portion of the great sea, meaning that zoras could have been living elsewhere. Same goes for all the gorons, as one does appear in WW. 

That is my idea guys, what do you think about all of this? Where do you think the timeline placement would be?

• Shane likes this

#2 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:38 PM

Putting these in spoilers just in case...

Spoiler

• Matthew and Mibbitable like this

#3 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:14 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

• Shane likes this

#4 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:15 PM

Okay, this may get a little messy and might hurt your head but hear me out.
In the very first memory of BotW, Zelda talks about the hero of the sky, time, and twilight. So BotW takes place after Twilight princess, right?
WRONG.
Koroks are in the game, meaning it will happen after Wind Waker. But "Mibbitable" you say, "Hyrule is flooded and long gone and they found a new place to call Hyrule."
Well, let us say that there is a new split in the timeline. During the fight with ganon, or even before the fight in Wind Waker, Link either vanished, or perished. 
Ganon then got his hands on the triforce, un-flooding the land of Hyrule to take control of it. But wait, in that timeline, Twilight Princess never happened? Who is to say that that is true? Twilight Princess could have taken place long after, while ganon was defeated by a new hero. That is why he shows up again in twilight princess. And then sometime after that, that is when the Divine Beast were created, sealing away the new ganon. That would explain why there are koroks and Rutos in BotW. But wait, there are also Zoras in BotW. They evolved into rutos right? Well, some of them. You only get to see a small portion of the great sea, meaning that zoras could have been living elsewhere. Same goes for all the gorons, as one does appear in WW. 

That is my idea guys, what do you think about all of this? Where do you think the timeline placement would be?

I suspect that this occurs before Wind Waker, but there are a few interesting bits:

Spoiler

It is still a bit early to tell, but I suspect it is before WW. I find it interesting though, that it references locations from SS. This 10,000 year thing is the most fascinating piece of information, as until now, there was nothing denoting the amount of time between events.

I suppose it is equally possible that 'Calamaity Ganon' is a manifestation of Demise, and that the later Ganon name, or title, was claimed by Ganondorf as a reference to that lineage; and that the game takes place after SS and before OoT.

One reason to consider this, is that all recent games show ancient tech, that came from somewhere; yet this is the only game in which is it is in actual use, and shows some kind of archaeology involved.

What amount to time elapsed between OoT and TP? Certainly not 10,000 years?

I did miss the reference to a named hero of Twilight, and Time. I saw references to a warrior that sealed Ganon, and other such stuff, so I will need to revisit that. Where precisely were those referenced by those titles?

I have no reason to believe that Rito are in any way related to Zora. The bird people here could however, be the original builders of the City in the Sky from MC and TP.

There are also aspects that remind me of 'Zelda's Adventure' for the CDi, with some ideas borrowed from Zelda II.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 09 March 2017 - 12:25 PM.

• Mibbitable likes this

#5 Mibbitable

Mibbitable

Junior

• Members

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:24 AM

I don't know how to make a spoiler tab so sorry.

Spoiler

Edited by Evan20000, 10 March 2017 - 10:22 AM.
Adding spoiler tags.

#6 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:21 AM

Use [sPoiler] without the caps.
  • Mibbitable likes this

#7 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:52 PM

Seems odd to be putting things in spoiler tags in a thread marked for spoilers in the title, but maybe Mibbitable hasn't yet beaten the entire game. I won't talk about ending events except for a small snippet I'll put in spoilers, but anyways...

It seems this game takes place in the Child Timeline, much to my surprise, but it makes a lot of sense actually, given some of the story in the game. Namely, the original sealing of the Calamity Ganon, using Guardians and Divine Beasts. There's a hell of a lot of conflict with all other tales of Ganon being sealed away, since no other detailed event in Zelda history matches at all with the story of an army of robot octopuses and four animal mechs aiding the hero and the princess in a decisive battle to seal Ganon away.

That's where the child timeline comes in, because not once in that timeline was Ganon ever sealed away. Like it's been pointed out, he was never sealed away during Ocarina of Time's era; he was put through a failed execution and then sent to the Twilight Realm as a failsafe. Then when he came back, he wasn't sealed, he was just straight-up stabbed and killed. Fast forward many years later and we have Four Swords Adventures, where Ganondorf is reincarnated, again into the Gerudo tribe, finds the Trident of Power to become a powerful monster, and then is sealed... in the Four Sword.

Now, it's inevitable he escaped at some point, because come on, that sword sucks at keeping things sealed away. Vaati escaped at least twice on his own, in Four Swords and the backstory event that the same game references (which, as it turns out, is separate from the events of The Minish Cap). Sure, he escaped a third time due to Ganon's intervention, but give it some time, he would have escaped on his own again. Given this information, and how weak Vaati is in comparison to the King of Evil, yeah, Ganon's gonna break out sometime.

Whether the entity known as the "Calamity Ganon" is the same reincarnated Ganondorf from Four Swords Adventures or just a lingering manifestation of evil is unknown, but there is this tidbit towards the very end of the game...

Spoiler

Anyway, as was mentioned before, Zelda makes a passing reference to the events of Twilight Princess, which alone is enough confirmation for me. Sure, there's a lot of geographical references to other events on other timelines, but I mean, are you gonna take Nintendo going "Quick, let's name this area after a past game!" as concrete proof of timeline placement over a story cutscene? Nintendo likes to make cheeky references all the time; hell, Linebeck's outfit somehow appears in Tri Force Heroes, despite being on different timelines. Not that I consider that game canon at all so I just destroyed my own point.

But anyway, the simplest explanation would be that this game takes place on the child timeline in light of this. It's not at all what I expected, considering Aonuma's lines about this being a world that has seen multiple conflicts with Ganon, but three is still multiple (Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword), plus the ones we haven't seen in that 10,000 year period, so his comment is still accurate. I suppose it's fair, it's been ten years since that timeline got some love, and I'm not exactly opposed to it. But it does beg the question of how did Kakariko go from a Native American style village to a straight-up Japanese village that's full of Sheikah instead of regular Hylians, this inconsistency has ruined the entire series!!!

I mean this was a good game.

• Mibbitable likes this

#8 Mibbitable

Mibbitable

Junior

• Members

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:24 AM

Well, i did mean for this thread to be people who beat the game.

I finally beat the game today and yes, ganon did give up on finding a reincarnation, the ending battle is just his pure evil energy. So what comes next? It sure looked like Zelda sealed him away in some realm, but which one?

Edited by Mibbitable, 12 March 2017 - 12:26 AM.

#9 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:16 PM

Well, I haven't beaten the game yet, but...

Spoiler

#10 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:45 PM

Except...

Spoiler

#11 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:38 PM

My guess:
Spoiler
/stream of consciousness

#12 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:02 PM

Spoiler

Incredibly unlikely. The Imprisoning War involved sages when there are none to be found in Breath of the Wild.

#13 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:11 PM

Unrelated spoilery stuff:

• Jared likes this

#14 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:16 PM

So looking into this myself, I'm a bit stumped on which timeline it could be. There are so many inconsistencies throughout to allow it to be on one timeline from my view. I wouldn't be surprised if it is an anti-OoT, as in it merges the three timelines together.  I mean Hyrule Warriors (Legends) did or tried to do this, just it was more laughable than anything serious plus it was non-canon.

#15 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:21 PM

I've come to the conclusion that this game is probably not in the Child Timeline. This comes from discussions on a subreddit that analyzed that speech of Zelda's and the vernacular of Twilight Princess, both in Japanese. When Zelda mentions "twilight" in that speech, she uses the word "tasogare" (黄昏), whereas the Twilight Realm is Japan is known as "kage no sekai," or "Shadow World" (影の世界). Apparently, the only time "tasogare" is used is Midna's "Twilight Princess" title. And no, the Japanese title doesn't use the word either, instead just calling it "Towairaitu Purinsesu" because Nintendo of Japan is silly.

You know where else the word "tasogare" was used, though? In the manual of A Link to the Past, referring to the Sacred Realm. In the same passage that the NoA manual translates as:

One day, quite by accident, a gate to the Golden Land of the Triforce was opened by a gang of thieves skilled in the black arts. This land was like no other. In the gathering twilight, the Triforce shone from its resting place high above the world.

Admittedly I haven't seen if this word was used again in the actual game text, and manuals aren't necessarily the best indicator of canon, but it is interesting to look at.

Based on this, though, I think the "twilight" reference is indeed just a cheeky reference and nothing more; the same speech apparently mentions "crossing the seas seeking the gold of the gods," which for all some know is a reference to Wind Waker, so it's not like that speech is definitive proof of... anything. Meanwhile, there's the tablets talking about Ruto's ascension as a sage and aiding a princess and an ancient hero against what's implied to be Ganondorf... that didn't happen in the child timeline.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users