Photo

May 25th, 1977

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:34 PM

... is the day a legend began. Forty years ago this day, a particular film debuted in theaters, a film that its creators and investors weren't exactly confident in, but, against all odds, it became a phenomenon and impacted movies forever, a craze that endures to this very day.

aCFIx3J.png

And it's been huge in my life ever since I was a small child, watching the 1995 VHS rereleases of the original trilogy; the (mostly) unedited ones, not the Special Editions. I grew up on these films and they've always been an inspiration to me. I also played the games, read some of the books and comics, and, as of recently, started watching the TV shows. It's amazing the staying power this forty-year-old franchise had, and still has, and the grip it possesses across various media. Sure, you could say Disney's ownership has a lot to do with that now, but even before then it was still going strong.

Hell, I'm still the nerd who writes on an RP site based on this setting, with several characters and their own storylines taking place in the galaxy far, far away. One of those characters and her storyline has actually found her way into a standalone universe that I'm currently adapting into my own fantasy series, so in a way, without Star Wars, I wouldn't have my current writing project.

So here's to the 40th Anniversary of one of the most powerful franchises of all time, here's to many more years that it may endure in the hearts and minds of the people. May the Force be with us.

And, for fun, the Star Wars Twitter, posted one of the original trailers for the first film.

• Magi_Hero, Nathaniel, Binx and 1 other like this

#2 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:32 PM

Ah, Star Wars. I've been more than a little obsessed with it for most of my life, having been the perfect age to actually enjoy the prequels, and having already fallen in love with the story. I also participated in a number of SW RPs, even moderating a few of my own. Read every EU book I could get my hands on... My favorite quest project of all time was even an SW quest, pity it was never finished, it was quite creative.

#3 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:15 PM

Not sure they needed faith in the project, they worked their asses off to get the original film done and it shows; that hard work paid off.

I love the OT, my favorite is RotJ for the exciting emotional climax between Luke, Vader and the Emperor. I got a decent amount of enjoyment out of the much flawed PT (except maybe RotS). I remember seeing TPM opening weekend, unbelievably gigantic hype and an enormous marketing machine. I wasn't very critical at the time, but left being hopeful about what would come next. TFA was really great, RO was great. So excited to see Luke again; think he's gonna bring so much heart to TLJ. I saw both of the bad Ewok films (do not watch), and I plan to never watch the holiday special.

The original Rogue Squadron and Episode 1 Racer (PC Version) are phenomenal games. I do tire of hearing the film score on endless loop though. I want that amazing music to be reserved for the film viewing experience (or concerts and soundtracks).

My neighbor gave me an old badly worn oversized film adaptation comic from the time of the first film. Some of the art is really bad, in some panels Luke looks like an old obese native american.

I've got a Kit Fisto (green Knuckles jedi) action figure, really cool looking character, hate how they killed him off in two seconds in RotS.

Edited by Cukeman, 25 May 2017 - 08:17 PM.

• The Satellite likes this

#4 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:42 PM

I love the OT, my favorite is RotJ for the exciting emotional climax between Luke, Vader and the Emperor.

Same.

... hate how they killed [Kit Fisto] off in two seconds in RotS.

Also same.

• Cukeman likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users