Fixing Audio Pops

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:52 AM

Okay I fricking give up! Does anyone know anything about audio files?

I have a Rupee SFX that I want to use for the sound of the Wallet being filled.

I opened the .wave in Audacity, zoomed in all the way and removed all the silent space. I brought it into ZC and it sounded great, except for a "pop" at the start of the audio. I went back to Audacity left a little silence in front of the file- and still got an audio pop. I tried putting a fade in at the start of the audio- still a pop. I starting making the fade in longer and longer- still a pop. By the time I got up to 20 ms the sound was too quiet too use, but there was STILL a pop!!

I don't know what to do... How on earth did they make the default SFX 18 which plays without a pop?

#2 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:20 AM

Just a random idea, but if you saved the wave in audacity as a GSM 6.10 .wav, would the pop go away?

#3 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:54 AM

I think there's a filter in Audacity for that.

It's also worth noting that wav files sometimes pop in ZQuest, but not in ZC itself.

Edited by Jamian, 02 August 2016 - 05:55 AM.

#4 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:32 AM

It could also be your audio hardware turning itself on/off to save power. Some budget integrated audio things on motherboards will do that and emit an audible noise when they aren't being actively used and switch off. Sometimes it's how a program accesses the audio hardware that can cause the pop. It might not actually be present in the file.

#5 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:32 AM

I have had sound effects not pop then suddenly a while later after I have worked on completely different things and test the quest they suddenly do pop. TBH I think there is a bug in ZQ that causes this.

#6 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:49 AM

Are the effects less than 1 second long? A bunch of media players have issues with such audio files, I think Windows Media Player can't play them at all.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 02 August 2016 - 09:49 AM.

#7 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 02 August 2016 - 02:46 PM

Just a random idea, but if you saved the wave in audacity as a GSM 6.10 .wav, would the pop go away?

I tried that (and made sure the sound was 1.5 seconds) ZQuest would not even load it when saved as a GSM 6.10.wav

I think there's a filter in Audacity for that.

It's also worth noting that wav files sometimes pop in ZQuest, but not in ZC itself.

What filter? I mean, there's no pop in the audio until I hear it in ZC

It could also be your audio hardware turning itself on/off to save power. Some budget integrated audio things on motherboards will do that and emit an audible noise when they aren't being actively used and switch off. Sometimes it's how a program accesses the audio hardware that can cause the pop. It might not actually be present in the file.

Nah, then it would be with other SFX too, not just this one. I only hear the pop in ZC.

I have had sound effects not pop then suddenly a while later after I have worked on completely different things and test the quest they suddenly do pop. TBH I think there is a bug in ZQ that causes this.

I haven't experienced any sound popping that didn't pop from the beginning.

Are the effects less than 1 second long? A bunch of media players have issues with such audio files, I think Windows Media Player can't play them at all.

I tried it at 1.5 seconds and it still popped.

#8 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:03 PM

Maybe this happens on all looping fill SFX (wallet, magic meter, health refill)? Because I don't get a pop on my Heart Pickup SFX until it's being used in the health refill loop. Still, it doesn't pop on the default sounds...

Edited by Cukeman, 02 August 2016 - 06:04 PM.

#9 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 03 August 2016 - 12:15 AM

Any chance you could post it?

I could have a look and try it on my system if nothing else.

#10 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:33 AM

Sure, but what should I post? The original audio file, or one of my attempts to edit?

#11 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:52 AM

Could be both. I guess the original - all you wanted was the silence at the beginning removed? That's easy enough, but the edit could be useful to see exactly what you're trying to do.

#12 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:19 AM

Oh, I can remove the silence at the beginning easily enough, but making this particular sound file not pop in ZC- dunno how to do that.

EDIT: Oh wow, the pop wasn't in the audio, the game was playing an empty SFX at the same time. Once I removed that it sounds fine. Now I feel like an idiot- no, wait an idiot wouldn't have figured that out.

EDIT2: I fixed my heart fill SFX too :D

Edited by Cukeman, 03 August 2016 - 03:53 AM.

• Magi_Hero likes this

#13 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:29 AM

O_o

How does it play two SFX at the same time?

Well whatever, good that's cleared up.

• Cukeman likes this

#14 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:58 AM

Oh, I can remove the silence at the beginning easily enough, but making this particular sound file not pop in ZC- dunno how to do that.

EDIT: Oh wow, the pop wasn't in the audio, the game was playing an empty SFX at the same time. Once I removed that it sounds fine. Now I feel like an idiot- no, wait an idiot wouldn't have figured that out.

EDIT2: I fixed my heart fill SFX too :D

That's why I use that 'Silent.wav' for dead silence. Sound '0' in 2.50.0, and 2.50.1 always popped. IDR if it was fixed in 2.50.2, but this pop when trying to play Sound 0, is also why I write my code like this:

if ( sfx ) Game->PlaySound(sfx)

( This will never play Sound 0, because if ( 0 ) evaluates false. )

I do it in this manner, so that if I make an ffc that has an option to play a sound, and the user leaves its data field at 0, it won't do annoying things.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 04 August 2016 - 05:59 AM.

• Cukeman likes this

#15 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:22 AM

I would have never guessed if you script sound 0 to play it makes a pop. I never noticed it too...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users