Contest 24 hour quest styles contest

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#31 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:46 AM

Don't take it too serious. "Obvious" in the sense of best known for outstanding quests lately, not in the sense of being the best in general. Russ is well known for his great-quest-making-skills, so his quest being awesome won't come unexpected. With Polaris I just think he might lay himself stones in the way with his perfectionism. And Avataro tends to bring the most interesting ideas into the contest rather than just a normal quest. In other words everyone already knows these three are great. And I find it just far more exciting if someone comes out as winner you don't expect to. Not that the others are bad at all, I just have problems to express this in english like I want to.

#32 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:55 AM

Can some text be submitted with the quest? A short description or something.

-Strike
  • Gouanaco likes this

#33 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:29 AM

I didn't start today, a lot of inconveniences have occurred topped with medication making me sleepy kind of ruining my all nighter plan. I might try tomorrow, but I'm growing doubtful that I might make it. Either way, if I don't make it, I'll still be using this idea and develop it in a short period of time be it for contest or for fun, but it'd be nice to get it out for the contest.

I wish anyone who starts or will start soon good luck!

#34 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:14 AM

Debating on whether to start tomorrow or not. I want to plan out a few more last minute things...

#35 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:30 AM

I'm really not sure if I'll be able to participate but I am hoping.
  • Avaro likes this

#36 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:01 PM

I think if 1/3 of the participants should be not able to do this over the weekend and have to finish later I doubt the rest will complain.

#37 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:41 PM

Don't take it too serious. "Obvious" in the sense of best known for outstanding quests lately, not in the sense of being the best in general. Russ is well known for his great-quest-making-skills, so his quest being awesome won't come unexpected.

Thanks, I'm flattered. But I don't think I'd call myself an "obvious" winner by any means. While I may have put out some good quests recently, there are some parts of design that I'm really that great at that I usually rely on Moosh or Aevin for. Dungeons in particular come to mind. Now that I'm working solo, I've gotta make all those things myself. Plus, I'm actually working in a style that I haven't directly done before. So you may not want to set your hopes too high. :P

#38 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:19 PM

Actually my hopes are:

1) Polaris getting healthy.

2) Avataro coming up once more with awesome "out of the box"-ideas. I am hyped most for his quest.

3) Dimentio winning the contest. No idea why, I just had a hunch it would be cool while I looked at the final list of participants. Maybe I played something awesome he made before and still remember the excitement subconsciously.

• Jenny, Jared, Deedee and 1 other like this

#39 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:10 PM

Yes, I agree, I should win. I am obviously the one most suited to win, because I have 0 quests released and I am so deserving of winning, yup.

(no but seriously thanks)

#40 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:41 PM

I've started and my quest is coming along nicely.

I hope most people will submit something. That said, a word of advise by me: Focus quality over quantity.

Edited by Avataro, 24 March 2017 - 02:42 PM.

• Naru likes this

#41 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:40 PM

That said, a word of advise by me: Focus quality over quantity.

See, I'm trying to live by this, but then my brain goes "But that boss you're planning could use another phase. And also a super attack."

I don't start for over 24 hours cuz of the Saturday start time and one of the latest time zones on earth, but planning is coming along nicely. I've got sprites for all my characters now (Moosh is pretty awesome), I've got all my dialogue written, and I'm getting all my scripts in place. Still have one more area to map out, but I'm hoping I can get that done after work tonight so that when my start time hits, I can sprint through building screens. Just 64 screens, plus minimaps, plus making sure events work, plus bug testing. Easy peasy, right?

(Help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee)
  • Anthus and Naru like this

#42 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:45 PM

I'm probably the only person who's just going to make whatever with no planning beforehand, lol.

Interested to see what you guys come up with. :P

#43 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:53 PM

I'll probably start Saturday as well, since I'd preferably like a day longer to plan. More time is better, right? :P

#44 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:51 PM

75 minutes!

...till start, not finish.

[edit] Might as well make this a mini-blog.

4 hours in (10:00P): tile resource almost finally constructed. I thought it would take about an hour, plus extra for modal configs, so I gave myself about three hours, and now I'm nearly an hour past that :eek: Some music loaded and strings written.

8 hours in (2:00A): finished entire tile resource. Still a bit hard to use since it's a totally new configuration that I'm not used to. Finished Level 1. Slower than expected, but dungeons tend to require much more precision detail than wilderness areas. Moving into overworld next. Should move much quicker.

11 hours in (5:00A): still a bit slow. Finished a (hopefully) fun cave, loaded a few new graphics I didn't think I'd need. Continuing overworld. Getting a feeling the final "dungeon" is going to be a 4-room boss rush.

16 hours in (10:00A): urgh. Good things getting done, just not fast enough. Half overworld complete. Getting enemies and items placed. Starting in Level 2. I should probably eat sometime.

21.5 hours in (3:30P): sleep? Nah, finished Level 2 and overworld segment 2. Can probably finish 3 in enough of a rush by the deadline, but will need to test after design is complete.

24 hours in! (6:00P): I can hardly believe it, but I'm almost entirely done. Is it ready to go? Well, I haven't actually played it yet... I've been designing all day! But yes, it looks like construction is truly wrapping up within 24 hours. I'm going to give it a try to see that I don't have fatal glitches or crashes or other malfunctions, then it'll be sent in soon as I"m done :)

Even Longer: I had to do some extended bug testing. Some functions weren't behaving and it took some troubleshooting. This had nothing to do with construction of the quest: simply functionality and performance.

Edited by Lüt, 26 March 2017 - 02:27 AM.

• Avaro and CimFighter like this

#45 CimFighter

CimFighter

CimFam/Writer

• Members

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:26 PM

Im out. I just dont have the time to make quests :( gl to everyone

• Gouanaco likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Contest, 24, hour, quest, styles, contest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users