Photo

How do you feel about silent LPs?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Boop

Beep

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:32 PM

Do you prefer commentary? Are you more or less inclined to watch an LP without commentary? This is out of curiosity more than anything. I remember before LPs were "a thing" when people would just upload commentary-less videos of them playing games. I like commentary, as long as the commentator is entertaining. What about you?

#2 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:36 PM

I don't even consider them a Lets Play unless there's commentary. lol

A Lets Play is generally supposed to be transformative, which is why they are fair use (even though we all know that doesn't really even matter, not even in the slightest). 

• Anthus likes this

#3 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:25 AM

I do prefer let's plays when they have commentary to be honest. I've done commentary-less let's plays myself though, I call them walkthroughs. Walkthroughs can still be really entertaining to watch. :)

#4 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:30 AM

I can enjoy an LP with or without commentary, depending on the game being played and what the LPer does otherwise, I think.  But most of the time I think voice commentary often helps.  I know there is a certain skill that goes with that, as some are better at talking for long periods of time without breaks than others.  I can imagine I'd have plenty of "ums" in there myself, and I am a teacher!  But to be fair, I am not experienced talking about games I am playing while I am playing them.

What I don't care much for though are annotations instead of voice commentary.  If you have to read what is on the screen, I find it harder to watch the rest of the video.  I know I have seen a few people using those annotations, which is fine once in a rare while in a video, but using it regularly throughout the video makes it harder to watch the actual video.  I could periodically pause the video to read them, but I find this to be an annoyance doing that a lot.

• Avaro and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#5 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:36 PM

What I don't care much for though are annotations instead of voice commentary.  If you have to read what is on the screen, I find it harder to watch the rest of the video.  I know I have seen a few people using those annotations, which is fine once in a rare while in a video, but using it regularly throughout the video makes it harder to watch the actual video.  I could periodically pause the video to read them, but I find this to be an annoyance doing that a lot.

Hm that's what I did. They are not there constantly though, I only use them for some occasional thoughts.

#6 zcfan27330

zcfan27330

Junior

• Members

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:59 PM

It has to have commentary to be a let's play. If it's silent then really it's just a playthrough

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users