Photo

More Walkthroughs Should Go With Custom Quests

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 hitmon600

hitmon600

• Members

Posted 27 August 2005 - 11:31 PM

This is just a little voice that is telling all of you quest-makers that you should create a walkthrough for your quest before you release it. Not only is it fun to do, but it can be put in the same ZIP file as the quest, so that users that download your quest can get a complete walkthrough that tells them all of the hidden rooms and secrets and everything in case they get really stuck.

I'm releasing one with my game, and it'll have a complete walkthrough and guide for everything in my quest except for the cheat codes, and perhaps how to find the two secret worlds.

#2 HappyPuppet

HappyPuppet

Deified

• Members

Posted 27 August 2005 - 11:39 PM

I don't think most questmakers like to give the player the opportunity of knowing where everything is. Part of the fun of playing a zelda game is exploring around and finding things on your own. icon_wink.gif

#3 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 27 August 2005 - 11:45 PM

Personally, I feel as if walkthoughs should be completely up to the designer. I prefer to figure everything out on my own, it gives me a higher level of satisfaction. However, in the rare cases where I am running out of ideas, I prefer to simply get a hint rather than a set of directions that any half-awake Schmo could follow. I have yet to need anything more than a hint, but that is just me. Perhaps a walkthrough of "hints only" would be a very good idea, although I have yet to see it.

#4 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 27 August 2005 - 11:52 PM

I don't think I'd make a walkthrough, because I don't like typing, and I'm fairly easy to contact if help is needed on a quest by me. It's all up to the quest maker though.

#5 LinkMaster1000

LinkMaster1000

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 28 August 2005 - 06:58 PM

You can always make "in-game hints" which will assist the player as to how to find things--just like those overworld caves and dungeon rooms where an old man gives Link a clue (e.g. "Spectacle Rock Is An Entrace To Death," which was a hint on how to find Level 9 of the original Second Quest)

#6 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 28 August 2005 - 08:43 PM

I guess they just forgot to put one in my box when I got the original LOZ, what a brilliant idea.
sorta like "Shop and compare before you buy", capn' Kirk would be proud.

Edited by Freedom, 28 August 2005 - 08:44 PM.

#7 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:07 PM

Well, as a designer and player, I hate cheats and walkthroughs. Though, other people have different opinions about that. Anyways, my game, The Hero of Dreams, will be released soon and I don't plan on making a walkthrough for it. The reason is because the game is so freakin' huge. It would be pages beyond pages of stuff. So I don't feel like writing a huge walkthrough. However, I am going to include a manuel with a short list of hints of places where my testers got stuck at and such. Also, if someone would need help, they would just have to ask a question here on the forums, and I would be my best to answer them. But a walkthrough is totally out of the question for me because it would take a month or two to finish that and that isn't really fun for me.

#8 Praethus

Praethus

Lord of the Darkness

• Members

Posted 29 August 2005 - 01:55 AM

I plan on releasing a walkthrough for Eya's Song a while after the quest completed. But it will be at least two months afterward.

#9 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 29 August 2005 - 06:12 AM

I find that one of the fun things about a quest is figuring things out. Of course, I had to resort to a walkthrough for Level 5 (I think) of Revenge, but beyond that, I prefer figuring things out.

If help is needed, I gladly dish it out or ask for it myself. I still get help requests regarding Unification... and I really don't blame people for asking about that quest. icon_blah.gif

Anyway, what I'm basically saying is that I don't really plan on making any walkthroughs for any of my quests. Even though they provide a method of self help, people tend to read more than they need to in them (depending on them to play the entire game).

#10 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 29 August 2005 - 08:29 AM

Oh, I'd love to make walkthroughs for my quests to avoid the hundreds of questions icon_smile.gif but my quests are so big and are just getting bigger so I don't have the time nor patience to sit down and write a walkthrough... I once tried with Descer but we failed. icon_shrug.gif Maybe I should just do maps, but I think they're too revealing. I dunno.

Edited by Petoe, 29 August 2005 - 08:31 AM.

#11 LinkMaster1000

LinkMaster1000

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 29 August 2005 - 08:59 AM

Oops: That "Spectacle Rock" clue is from the First Quest, not the Second.

#12 toaofgamecube

toaofgamecube

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 29 August 2005 - 08:45 PM

A good hint to stuck people: PM the quest maker. icon_razz.gif

#13 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 29 August 2005 - 08:58 PM

Advice to people who need help on my quests: Don't PM me; make a new topic in this forum.
I absolutely hate help on quests when via PMs.

As for walkthroughs...
Freedom basically justified my own opinion, but one other reason is that they take too long, some people are (No offense) too stupid to use them, and it's just a waste of time. All that's needed is really a readme to give a few tips and perhaps explain any new or unseen elements in a quest, as an instruction manual does (Which you get with console games).

#14 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 August 2005 - 09:45 PM

I'd rather not have walkthroughs altogether. Writing them is a pain, I can imagine, but even releasing one to the masses--it's not that I would use them, but that I would have to play through while knowing that for every wall I run into, other people could conceivably "cheat" by, by using the guide. It just annoys me. icon_blah.gif

#15 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 29 August 2005 - 10:20 PM

Adding to what exate just said: Before posting for help on a quest, especially if it is a popular one (usually due to high overall ratings with many reviews), try to look for old forums to view by doing a search. You are bound to find someone else who got stuck in the exact same part that you did. I found this to be the case for me in many instances when I was playing Hidden Duality and Isle of the Winds. Because of that, I never had to make even one post before winning.

And like he said, by posting in the forums, it can be seen by others, thus preventing the designers from being asked the same questions over and over again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users